Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

So yes, I will babble about Fifty Shades of Grey.

However, before I start, I would like to inform you that I do not know how to "critic" a book or how a certain material should be written. I'm peculiar with grammar and spelling; that's it. I also do not know how to "rate" a book from 0 stars to 5 stars. What matters to me is that I was kept entertained by the material. 

Now that that's out of the way...

As a Twilight fangirl, I do read fanfiction. Most of what I read are M rated as I find the T ones too bubbly pop for my liking. I entertain T rated materials when they are bound and printed (I believe I just said a pun). Errr... I am one of the many who have read the fanfiction Master of the Universe.

Master of the Universe (which we shall MoTU from hereon) is a Twilight fanfiction written by Snowqueen's Icedragon. If you haven't heard, MoTU is the fanfiction equivalent of Fifty Shades of Grey and Snowqueen's Icedragon is E.L. James' pen name.

I cannot remember if I stumbled upon MoTU in a community or by checking out the favorites of other fanfiction authors. Although, I'm pretty sure that I read this after I read The Submissive (err.. it's another Twific).

MoTU is a romantic read with a twist. I have ever the slightest idea of what BDSM is; but this one is about a college girl who meet this business mogul for an interview because her friend had the sniffles. Little did she know that said business mogul is hiding a dark red room of pain.

While reading the fic, I did skip some of the sex scenes because sometimes it gets too much, I guess? Like I just read that they fucked a few lines before, now they're at it again?

The story got me hooked. It covered the bases to keep me interested and anticipate when the next chapter will be posted.

As this is a Twilight fanfiction, one cannot ignore the comparison and the talks of copyright issues.

Albeit the use of well known characters, the parameter of the story belongs to James. Do you get that people? I'm not trying to take sides.

I do understand how fans would get pissed off by the fact that this was patterned after their beloved characters; although, people should understand that this story revolved around an All Human cast.

They may have showed some of the characteristics of the characters but they did not act like they were exact copies of their characters in the original Twilight books.

When she was writing MoTU, it was never in her mind that her work will eventually get published (well, until the middle of it all).

Readers of MoTU should be at least thankful that she finished the whole thing before pulling it out of the universe to get published (works in progresses being pulled out just to get published is not a new thing in the Twilight fanfiction universe, believe me).

MoTU is E.L. James' work. She may have originally used the Twilight characters in her work but this is why it's called FANfiction. It's fiction made by fans. Get the drift? If you have read MoTU or even Fifty Shades, would you really think that Twilight Edward would act like that? Really? So yeah, fuck us all.

She changed the character names when she got printed. She didn't use Edward or Bella; she used Christian and Anastasia. The comparison of the characters most likely manifested because it was never a secret that Fifty Shades was a Twilight fanfiction; because people know that Christian was Edward and Anastasia was Bella.

If you didn't know this fact, would you really think that this couple was originally the lovers of the Twilight Saga? Yeah, I don't think so.

Edward may have known what a flogger is but he would never have used it on Bella. She might've liked it a little too much as she would've humped him any chance she got.

I cannot blame the people who rated Fifty Shades with a 1 or lower than that and said that this was all bullshit and whatnot. Hey, to each their own. A certain may not have liked it and others may have loved it; it depends on you.

I have enjoyed this work when I was still imagining the Twilight characters as its main cast. For me, the way they acted was far off from their original counterparts. The had little to compare except for the way the look. The only time that I constantly imagined them as the Twilight cast was when I needed to imagine them they way they would look like; not how they acted.

I would like to point out that as much as I loved MoTU; I am a bit disappointed with Fifty Shades.

How can I be disappointed over Fifty Shades when it's pretty much like a ctrl+F replace kind of book?

That's exactly it. I know it's her story and its her characters; but I've already read about this in MoTU.

There were hardly changes between the two books.

Reading Fifty Shades of Grey is like reading MoTU just with different character names.

Why would I pay for something that I have already read for free?

Because MoTU is awesome.


Verdict:

I am giving Master of the Universe a 4 because it was epic win
and Fifty Shades of Grey a 2.5 because there's nothing new about it (I love it still, though)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...